Wednesday, April 28, 2010

It's a celebration!




Happy Birthday to Chuck, Happy Birthday to Chuck, Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday....Happy Birthday to Chuck!
Wow - Thursday, April 29 is one glorious year since surgery.

I take my birthday off work every year, I have no idea why I didn't take his birthday off to celebrate.
I cannot remember the last time a year went by without me missing out on something, or being curled up in bed for weeks at a time. This year has been a glorious gift and I like to think I've made the most of it.

1) I ate and ate and ate and ate some more.
I have eaten more corn on the cob this year than I have in 12 years combined and I'm already looking forward to another season. I have to say that corn on the cob was the one thing that I really missed when I was sick and couldn't eat things very high in fibre. In celebration of my corn on the cob eating days I bought a Butter Buddy. Paul still makes fun but even he admits it's a handy little tool. It's a little holder that has a butter stick in it and it is shaped like your corn on the cob so you can butter everything evenly without a big pile of melty butter on your plate.

2) I have gone on vacation to Las Vegas and partied it up like a 30 something should be able to do. I have also just returned from a trip to Lake Louise where I also consumed copious amounts of alcohol. I have a sneaking suspicion that my lack of intestines means that I could probably now drink most people under the table. I had a whole lot to drink in Lake Louise and the next day didn't have a lick of a hangover and wasn't even fuzzy and warm feeling the night before. Interesting.

3) I have started going to the gym. Every morning at 5:00 a.m. my alarm clock goes off and I roll my sorry self out of bed and head for the gym here for 5:30 a.m. I work out for an hour, shower and get ready for work there. The reason for this is explained in #1 of this list - and because it's just so good to feel healthy. I even hired a trainer who set up an awesome program for me. I am really just focusing on fitness, weight isn't what I'm worried about although if I had have kept up with #1 and not done #3 then it probably would have been! Paul has been coming to the gym too and we've both noticed a big difference.

4) I have started playing slo-pitch again this year - our first game was Monday night. I have never played when I felt this good and I played like a freakin' machine if I do say so myself. I wasn't exhausted and unable to run the bases, I actually had a couple of really good hits...and had a great time and I'm already looking forward to the second game.

5) Paul bought me golf clubs and this year I'm going to learn! I didn't learn before not because of the physical activity thing (although that was part of it) - but because golf courses aren't known for their abundance of bathrooms and the last thing I wanted was to get stuck on some fairway and have to run into the bushes to take care of business...besides I think the courses have some kind of rules against that.

So - I think I should buy Chuck a nice pair of leather boots for his birthday. He'd look fabulous in them! Fine - so the boots are for me and I haven't bought them yet. But I did buy him something - stay tuned for my next blog when it comes in. The Ostomy Stealth Belt. I'm excited already just from the name - it makes it sound like a ninja device.



2 comments:

  1. Good for you!! Wow, looks like the past year was the first chapter of the rest of your new life! So glad things are going well for you! You must feel on top of the world! Enjoy it cuz; you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Chuck! I was so happy when Joseline met you. You have really changed her life around, and when she is happy, I am happy! Hang in there and I'm sure you two will be like a match made in heaven! Oh, and congratulations to you too, Joseline!

    ReplyDelete