Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Interesting tidbits

Some interesting tidbits that I've never had to consider before. I have to take you back to when I first got my ostomy bag. I have some serious paranoia about smelling like toilet. I mean when you think about it I'm wearing a bag of poo on my stomach. When a baby poops his diaper it's stinky, if you poop your pants it's stinky...so I think it's only normal to be paranoid for at least the first while that you smell like poo.
On top of that - if there's a problem with the appliance and you're leaking, one of the first signs is poo smell.
So for the first month or so I drove my family crazy asking if I smelled like poo, or if they smelled poo...you don't realize how many times a day you get a whiff of ass until you are watching for it.

Here's where it gets interesting. We were at the hot springs in Banff - I had never been before. It was my first foray into warm water with my ostomy bag and all and so I was even more paranoid than usual. I don't even want to think about how gross it would be for my bag to come off in a public swimming pool. Of course I didn't even consider that the hot springs would have a strong sulfur odor. So I freaked out the first time a waft of sewer smell came over my nostrils. I gave Paul a panicked look and asked if he smelled poop and if he thought I was leaking and oh my god let's get out of here! After he calmed me down he had to let me know every time he smelled the sulfur so that I could be sure we were both smelling the same thing.

Here's where it gets even more interesting. I am married to a very typical male I think. He burps, passes gas and generally is comfortable enough with me that the body functions don't bother him in the slightest. (A far cry from when we started dating and he would go home with a stomach ache from holding in his intestinal rumblings).
He's a big fan of farting in bed. He says it's something with laying down and how it puts pressure on different parts of his insides. Whatever. The tricky thing is that sometimes his farts don't make a sound. And then I'll get a whiff of poo in bed and before I used to know when it was him because let's be honest you know when you fart. But now I'm never sure and so he can hear me sniffing in bed and I'm all worried it's me. New rule - when he farts around me he has to let me know so I don't freak out.

All that aside, it was my first day back to work today and all in all it wasn't too bad. Not very busy, they got by just fine without me, but I certainly missed my couch time. Nothing too exciting to report on that end.


No comments:

Post a Comment