Thursday, January 26, 2012

Another bum exam done and done



Warning, today's blog is slightly graphic and probably disturbing to most readers. That being said I encourage you to keep reading - cause otherwise what's the point?

Today's phrase of the day - "pre-lubricated rectal tube". Okay technically that was the word of the day on Wednesday but I'll get to that in a minute.

First I'd like to address a concern that was brought to my attention via a work friend. Her husband actually has this insane crush on me and I totally can't blame the poor guy so I'm stringing him along as my just in case dude. Brent buddy - this is for you.

I understand that some people (insert Brent's name here) were disappointed when I didn't update my blog more often when I was home from work for three long wonderful months at the end of 2011. I understand some people's (Brent's) confusion - I mean I had nothing to get up and leave the house for, nothing but daytime TV and books to keep me occupied during the day, couldn't even wear a real pair of pants because the waist band hurt. Well that is the answer to the question of why the blog wasn't updated more often. I don't leave the house, I become BORING!
I totally could have updated everyone in blog land the same way I updated my husband daily - "look I cleaned out the towel cupboard upstairs" or "I totally organized the pantry alphabetically and by baking, regular eating and random stuff." Or maybe my personal favorite "on Stephen and Chris today I learned how to make a vegetarian gravy from scratch that looks amazing!"
However, and this could just be my marketing and journalism background talking, I think that would have affected my readership in a negative manner.

So to all those people (Brent) who want to read more about my adventures - read on because today's blog post will test your loyalty to this page!

I had a check up today with my gastro - a sigmoidoscopy to be exact. It's a quick and uncomfortable procedure where a camera that looks like this:
is jammed into your butt hole about 5 inches in and then removed slowly so that your doctor can examine the inner lining of your lower bowel. For me today they were looking to see if I had any signs of disease and if my reversal was healing properly.

Before you go for one of these procedures you need to take a...drum roll please...ENEMA! Yes, two hours before you go to through the procedure you squeeze some fluid up there to do a little flush of the system.
The enema fluid is available over the counter at pharmacies, no prescription required.
Off I go to my local grocery store/pharmacy and hit the antacid/laxative aisle to look for what I need.
I was fooled a bit by the image of it on the shelf - besides having the word ENEMA in letters large enough that I was pretty sure the lady two aisles over could read it- the box looks harmless enough.

Oh but wait fair readers, I pull it off the shelf and then I hear a "what the?" from my husband. Turn the box to the side and the instructions are posted on the outside of the box. Which wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to see these instructions in graphic images to go with it!!

That first position is called the Sims' position. The only Sims I had ever heard of was those little make believe computer people - but no this is an actual medical term and is defined as the following:
a position in which the patient lies on the side with the knee and thigh drawn upward toward the chest. The chest and abdomen are allowed to fall forward. Left Sims' is the position of choice for administering enemas or conducting rectal examinations. Also called semiprone side position.

I think that kind of graphic imaging should be on the inside of the box on a piece of paper. Personally. I'm just sayin...
Besides the horrible pictures as you continue to read on the instructions say "remove protective cap from pre-lubricated rectal tube before using."
In that instant as far as the husband was concerned pre-lubricated rectal tube was the word of the day.

I just threw the damn box into the shopping cart and looked at him and said "I deserve better than this."

This morning I was re-reading the directions on the box to make sure I knew what I was supposed to be doing and believe it or not the manufacturers of the product have actually trademarked the name of their rectal tube - it's called a COMFORTIP TM.
Nice hey!
I will say that I've had to do a lot of awful and uncomfortable things since being diagnosed and this falls well short of what some of my worst experiences are. Besides being a bit uncomfortable it wasn't so bad. At least I didn't have to drink any rocket fuel. On the downside I don't know what they "pre-lubricated" with but it has the staying power of gum off hot cement on the bottom of your shoe. I just had a bath and I'm pretty sure I still didn't get it all off of there.

Waiting in the hospital waiting area my husband and I were joking around and laughing about the procedure. I mean only someone like me I suppose thinks it's funny that I'm going for a bum scope and I'm in day room #2 and I was his #2 patient on the roster.
I did ask my nurse if we were going to be in Theatre #2 and she laughed and said that he usually does use that room but today we were in number 3 and I couldn't think of anything bathroom related about the number three.

I did however pass on a piece of enlightened discussion that my husband announced to me while waiting - "hey I just realized that Dr. T is like a golfer - he gets through 18 holes a day!"

Good thing Dr. T has a sense of humor.

So - to wrap things up my incision is still healing but very slowly. This is mostly thanks to my medication which is an immune suppressant and affects things like healing.
Here's the latest photo opportunity for you - enjoy and if you live close enough and know me well enough if you print it off I'll autograph it for you. Oh and by the way, Dr. T is very happy with how well things healed, he says they look great and he's very happy. Score a point for team Potty Posse!
I have a follow-up with my surgeon on February 13 and I will keep you all updated. Until then, I leave you with this pearl of wisdom: You can save money in a lot of ways but it should never be by buying cheap toilet paper.

2 comments:

  1. 8. Jun 28 2012
    2:34 pm

    I am 56 years old and have had Crohn’s since before it was called Crohn’s. I was 16 and they called it regional enteritis. Either way I have experienced all the symptoms. I have also tried every drug on the market as a human guineau pig for all the doctors. Here’s where I am at in my life. Food? Eat what feels good, both now and later; because you never know what will trigger a flare up. Daily breathing works well. Take 15 minutes and just meditate. Nice slow breathing is amazing. I take one Celebrex daily for inflammation, and smoke a little medical marijuana when I need some appetite or just having stomach pains. Also is good for the spasms. Listen to your body and don’t let it win, just remember, there will be times when you stop have to chill and get off your feet, relax, get some sleep, and stop worrying about the disease, and start focusing on feeling good. Stop being down, this disease is with you forever. Smile, go poop, a lot and remember don’t quit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blogs are easily accessible and quite enlightening so keep doing the amazing work guys. Give solution

    ReplyDelete